Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Bipedal

Last week I was mulling over a post about how I was worried Muffin wasn't walking yet. How I knew the right thing was to be all zen and let her develop at her own pace, but that I couldn't help fretting. How I had just received a BabyCenter newsletter that said 90% of kids her age are already walking. How I was worried there was something I should be doing that I wasn't -- or that I was doing something I shouldn't and putting undue pressure on her. How I was hoping she would walk before our beach vacation in a few weeks so she'd be too busy to stuff her mouth with sand. How I hated to see her little knees all bruised and scratched from crawling around in shorts.

And then:






Muffin Walking on Vimeo

I've noticed that many new walkers careen haphazardly about, leaning forward and racing to reach the object of their desire before they fall. Not Muffin. She is slow, steady, methodical. Each step is hard work and she invokes the rah-rah spirit of the Dada (Fine! She loves you better! Are you happy now?) in order to dig deep enough to keep trying, fall after fall.

She's my little tortoise. I couldn't be any prouder.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You made your mother cry again!

11:44 PM  
Blogger Muffin's Mom said...

Real tears?? Then my job is done.

Isn't she amazing??

Can't wait for you to see her walk in person.

9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's really blowing us both away to see her try over and over again. She's relentless and making progress every day. I figure shew be running with me in the park by the new year.

And to be fair, I wouldn't say that she was calling me out in this video clip. But maybe if I squint my eyes and muffle my ears a little it might sound like Dad!

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did not walk until 22 months!

2:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She is AMAZING! I started talking way before I could ever walk, so she is doing just fine!:) S

5:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love it!!! so exciting - the determination is palpable.

9:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my GOD!!!!!!! I have never met her but my heart just got so swollen and my eyes almost cried when I saw her walking in the video!

It is just simply amazing how kids develop and I never would have thought I'd find watching children grow the most amazing thing in my life!!!!

5:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay Muffin! Watching you take those steps made my heart skip a beat...you are so sweet and yet so determined. Your auntie is bursting with pride. Kisses to you!

9:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She is just adorable!! Hurray, Muffin!

8:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First off, congrats to the three of you (and you all must take credit!)

Canuck -- Don't be surprised if it's Halloween. Bubba started walking about two months ago, and she's "running" around as if she owns the place (and all of the other places she is).

We're going through the fun part now of the thread of walking intertwining with the thread of understanding: When we're in a parking lot, she'll walk to whichever end of the car in the direction we're headed, then wait for us and extend both of her arms out for us to grab a hand so we can walk across the traffic areas together. As soon as we've safely passed, she lets go and resumes her blissful roaming of her kingdom.

12:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's awesome! Way to go muffin (and mom and dad)!!! Pretty soon, she and I will be running the park loop!

9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home