Saturday, July 22, 2006

Dr. Feelgood

Every first-time parent should be so lucky as to have a pediatrician as soul-soothing as mine. I usually arrive at her office with a laundry list of unexplainable developments (Possible rash! Slight fever! Strange rocking! Not walking!) that are probably all indicators that I am falling down on the job and a sham mom. She has a wonderful way of making all the pieces fit together into a logical story whose happy ending is that Muffin is perfectly normal and on track. I walk out feeling in control, like this parenting stuff is no big whoop.

About a month ago I took Muffin into her office. When she went to check her ears, Muffin nodded no vigorously. The doctor seemed a bit taken aback that she could communicate so clearly (I neglected to mention how sometimes no actually means yes), but with some gentle coaxing she was able to take a look inside both ears.

During the appointment, I mentioned the bath troubles we were having. She assured me it was developmentally normal, that fear is part of putting together how the world works. Then she casually mentioned this was happening a little earlier than normal because Muffin is so smart.

A HA!! This explains so much. The tantrums? A clear indication she is brilliant. The obsession with licking the bottom of my shoes? Evidence of her giftedness. The constant nose-picking? Clearly one step closer to quadratic equations.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

IN my short experience as a mum, paedetricians and other helps are often more beneficial for my own emotional health than it is for my baby's physical health. The price you pay for comforting words and confidence pads are worth it in the end. As we know, a happy (as opposed to nervous rather than unhappy) mum is a better mum right? Kiss.

5:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A wonderful pediatrician who listens, makes you feel like you are their only family while they are with you, and with whom you have credibility as a parent is truly priceless. I have been so lucky in all the places the boys have lived, including S. Africa and Germany. My pediatrician is so wonderful that the boys are nearly 19 and 21 and they haven't moved to a different doctor yet, at least not when they are home!

Oh, and Muffin? The apple does not fall far from the tree...get ready! Raising her will be quite interesting. In all sincerity, life has so much fun in store for you! There will NEVER be a dull moment. :) - MK

8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home