Monday, June 26, 2006

Rock Star Aunties

Over the weekend we traveled to Chicago, where my family is from. We were in town for a wedding and also for my dad's 60th birthday party. It's always wonderfully chaotic to get the whole brood together, and I love giving Muffin a chance to spend time with her grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins.

As it turns out, her aunts got a unique opportunity to, um, get to know her inner workings.

On Saturday morning, we headed to the wedding, and left Muffin in the care of the family. Everyone was very busy getting ready for my dad's party that night but they took good care of her, feeding her a hearty lunch and getting her down for her afternoon nap. At first, they could hear Muffin happily babbling away but soon that gave way to hard sobs. A check on her revealed that she had thrown up a colorful mix of the cantaloupe, banana and Croque Monsieur she'd had for lunch. It was all over the sheets, on her special blanket, on her clothes and in her hair.

Now of course Muffin has spit up zillions of times and even thrown up a little too. But it sounds like I have never been witness to this kind of partially digested carnage. Both my sister and sister-in-law have babies of their own, but this broke new records of grossness. And my sister, like me, has fear of the vomit and will do just about anything in order to not be near it.

And yet they gave Muffin a bath (no easy feat -- see below), washed her hair, lotioned her up, put her in clean clothes, gave her hugs, sang her songs, and made her feel safe until I got home.

The most amazing part is that both of them told me that one of their favorite parts of the weekend was the day they spent with Muffin, getting to know the little personality that is emerging. They love her, puke and all. And she loves them too.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, how Muffin's Aunties love her and would do anything for her. Thanks for writing this. Muffin steals my heart, even when she's covered in vomit...now THAT's impressive.

11:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home