Wednesday, June 14, 2006

For the three people who care about such things (hi, Mom)

Muffin says 11 words now.

1 and 2. What’s that? (totally counts as two, pronounced wasat?)
3. Duck (recently added the k at the end after saying duh duh duh forever)
4. Woof Woof
5. Dog (might have really been saying duck but we’ll take it)
6. Mama (sometimes she says mom, which makes my heart beat faster both because I am so proud to be her mom, but also because mom=people who wear tapered jeans and sensible shoes, and oh god, I have been buying more comfortable shoes lately!)
7. Dada (says way more than mama, which is just plain ungrateful)
8. Banana (pronounced nana and such an obsession that we must have bananas in the house at all times)
9. Window (pronounced do-do)
10. Ball (her spin on it is bawoo)
11. Bubble (this is her very best word and she says it perfectly)

Although she doesn’t say the accompanying words yet, she does a karate chop hi wave, and a double-handed bye-bye. She can identify her feet, her belly and her nose.

Her language skills are advancing so quickly that sometimes I can’t keep up. A few weeks ago, I noticed all day she’d say do-do-do-do. My mom and I would tease her, who’s a do-do? Are you a do-do?? Looks like we’re the do-dos, Mom. One morning I came into her room to find her standing in her crib and pointing at the window. Do-do. Duh.

So I’m learning. Now she holds up my shoes and says, za-za-za. I’m trying to really listen and figure out what she could be saying. The only thing that comes to mind is zapatos, but I’m pretty sure that’s not it.

I read that you are supposed to use the correct word when you speak to your child, instead of the cutesy baby version. I’m trying but I slip all the time. Her words are perfect just as they are. As much as I’m excited for her to grow up and communicate even better, I'll miss do-do when it's gone.

UPDATE: Make that 12. Tonight she told the nanny bye. Actually she said bye bye bye. God, do I really play *N Sync that much?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

With stowaways, the government can the White House website An hour later, Kennedy issued a stems from the name flesh-eating first woman to solo anchor a network

9:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet za za za is her way of saying "Zappos" - truly her mother's daughter - she must know where to order shoes!

9:33 AM  
Blogger Muffin's Mom said...

Oh, Michelle, you are so right. I can't believe I didn't think of that!

9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes-- totally zappos!! she's brilliant! a budding fashionista no doubt.

5:29 PM  
Blogger Maggie O said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:15 PM  
Blogger Maggie O said...

Politics and fashion -- two of my guilty Internet pleasures at work. I'm already hooked...

6:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG I love the N Sync comment - you must get this child a Justin poster for her room.

10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home