Tuesday, August 22, 2006

My Grass is Green

I don't think a weekend has gone by since Muffin became mobile that I haven't wished for the time and space to linger over coffee and the paper. Coffee that I don't need to put in the center of the table to avoid curious hands. Newspaper that doesn't make a hilarious-to-a-toddler sound when it's crumpled.

This past weekend the Canuck and I went away for our anniversary. Muffin's grandma and aunt flew in to babysit, and we headed off to the North Fork of Long Island to get tipsy at the vineyards, eat two-hour meals in fancy restaurants, swim without inflatable devices and read the paper all we wanted. We had the weekend off from worrying about a nap schedule and where our next kid-appropriate meal would come from, and only had to take care of ourselves, which felt like nothing at all.

And it was great.

But it wasn't that great.

The town we were in had a beautiful old carousel. Muffin's never been on one, and I kept thinking about how exciting it would have been to take her on it. Yet another first in 16 months chock full of firsts. We kept passing the merry-go-round, and I kept wondering what it would be like if she were with us.

When we got home, she was napping, and it seemed like hours until she woke up. When I went in to get her, I discovered she'd grown even more delicious in our absence.

I'm not really missing anything all that great, being a parent. Or rather, I am missing a few of my pre-mommy indulgences, but it pales in comparison to what I'm getting.

And, anyway, the paper gets my fingers all dirty.

6 Comments:

Blogger Maggie O said...

Happy Anniversary to Muffin's parents! I love reading this blog and watching Muffin (and I suspect her parents) grow in wisdom and strength every week.

Congratulations on a continued happy marriage and happy family.

xoxo,
Marg

11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy anniversary, girl! i love the sentiments expressed here about what you've lost, but what you've gained... i've often wondered myself what it will be like, and how i'll handle it. lovely to know there's something very special waiting for me on the other side, as there has been for you guys.

3:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

Tonight, I plan on toasting you with a bottle of champagne!

Love, Me

4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary!!!!

5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary! Sooo nice to get a chance to just be alone together. I do remember those times though - wanting the kid(s) there too! (Oh, and did I mention you are a terrific, clever writer and I thoroughly enjoy reading your blog?)
:)

9:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohmygosh - you've described the thing I fear the most, and yet still can't wait for! What a beautiful way to describe it! Happy belated anniversary!

6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home