Wednesday, September 13, 2006

This is Your Vacation With Kids

A trip, not a vacation, a trip, not a vacation.

This was my mantra as I got ready for our week at the Jersey Shore. So at least I was prepared.

This is holiday relaxation before Muffin: Refresh my body with luxurious long sleeps, plow through a stack of beach books, cultivate an even tan with careful swimsuit strap adjustment, nurse vodka and tonics all day, and gorge myself on Tasty Cakes.

This is holiday relaxation after Muffin: Try to steal 5 minutes so I can pee in peace without Muffin pulling all the toilet paper off the roll.

I kid (a little). I did have my share of Tasty Cakes. I read some magazines. I drank a few vodka and tonics, although I don't think I ever finished one. The house we rented became overrun with the plastic cups I'd constantly abandon as I scurried to keep Muffin from falling down the stairs. I did get a lot of sleep, as I couldn't keep my eyes open past 10pm.

And yet there are some moments from the trip that will be etched in my brain forever: walking hand and hand with Muffin to dip our feet in the waves. Seeing the huge smile on her face as the Canuck took her into the ocean for the first time. Blowing BUBBLES! off the deck. Teaching her to collect seashells and hearing her "oooooohhhhh" over every one.

And so the push-pull of parenting continues. Our life is infinitely fuller with Muffin in it, but a whole lot more tiring. Next vacation, I'm drinking vodka and Red Bull.

To see photos from our trip-not-a-vacation, click here.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest,

Gorgeous photos!!!!! I love them and you look wonderful! Being in the 30s agree with you (unlike me who seem to have completely gone to pot with age!).

I agree with you, the little ones make our life richer. They are also EXTREMELY tiring!!

Hugs. Nina

4:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures! Muffin totally has your nose! Lil C looks like his mom, and Miss M has her dad's twinkle. Beautiful babies and mommies. love, Sun

8:16 AM  
Blogger Muffin's Mom said...

I know, how cute are my niece and nephew???!?!?

9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home