Wednesday, October 18, 2006

And Now for Something Lighthearted

In the past few weeks, we’ve finally been getting our parental shit together and crossing some big things off the list. We started using a financial planner, who will help set up a college savings fund and figure out how to afford another kid some day. We’ve contacted nursery schools – ok, one nursery school – about coming by for a tour. And yesterday we drafted a will, just like real-life Parent Type People do.

We figured out guardians for Muffin before she was even born, but it’s nice to make it official. We’re also setting up a trust for her in case anything happens to both of us. I was surprised to find out I have a net worth - me! – and we’re not just talking about my shoes. We got intimate with awful hypotheticals: Should Muffin get the money at 18, 22, 25, or 30? At what age will she start to resent us for controlling from the grave? At what age will she be too young and irresponsible to manage it properly? Right now money is simply a fun thing to put in your mouth to give Mommy a heart attack.

We also talked about a living will, which specifies things like who should make medical decisions if you are unable to, your feelings on life support, if you’d like to be cremated, etc. Since our families are an hour or two plane ride away, and would most likely not be there in an emergency, our lawyer suggested we let all our friends know about our wishes. I got the giggles thinking about that e-mail blast: Hey guys! What’s up? Just wanted you to know that if I am in an accident and declared braindead, no heroic measures should be taken to sustain my life, ‘kay? And, OMG, totally play Justin Timberlake and serve vanilla milkshakes at my funeral.

My mom recently reminded me that my parents tried to talk to me about their will when I was a teenager, and I wouldn’t have it. It was just too awful and morbid to think about, and I got teary as soon as they brought it up. This time it’s different. I’m not thinking of myself, I’m thinking of someone I love even more than myself. As uncomfortable as it is, making sure she’s taken care of is something I am only too happy to do. As much as this navel-gazing blog would otherwise indicate, having Muffin has taken me a little bit outside myself, and that’s what being a Parent Type Person is all about.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cheers to NEVER listening to Justin Timberlake or drinking vanilla milkshakes. I can't even fathom the thought.

11:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know it is morbid, but I laughed so hard at this post (clearly the JT part) that I spit out the coffee I was drinking. No joke. Well, thanks for sharing your living will information with us - it is always good to know what your wishes are. Plus, I LOVE your party idea...maybe we can get JT to play at 985...plus, I promise to sashatize all drinks? By the way, can you and Justin set-up a trust for me?

2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home