Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Tantrum-worthy

Last week as the Canuck gathered his things to go to hockey, Muffin started fuss. There’s no fooling her these days; she recognizes the signs of an imminent departure, and as the Canuck picked up his smelly hockey bag and sticks, she collapsed to the floor and gave us some serious lower lip. We both tried to tell her he would be back soon, but she could not be dissuaded to view the situation as anything less than tragic. I saw on the Canuck's face a mixture of sympathy and amusement (he's forever awarding her Best Actress for her theatrics). But there was something else: a glint of pride. Muffin has cried when left with a sitter, but never when left with a parent. Clearly parents trump caregivers, but what happens when it’s Mommy vs. Daddy? I never thought that was a cagematch I'd lose.

(For the record, as soon as he left, Muffin realized Mommy was kick-ass company and calmed down immediately.)

Oh, how the mighty fall. Earlier this week, I had to leave for work early, before Sally even arrived. As I said my goodbyes, expecting the same blown kisses and waves that I usually get, Muffin threw herself on the floor in hysterics. It's best to not draw out the goodbye, so I headed to the door. I turned around one last time, and her little mouth, blooming in agony, broke my heart. I heard her sobs all the way down the hallway.

I called the Canuck as soon as I thought he might be at work, and confirmed that it had been a protracted tantrum that could not be soothed by even the magical fuzzy pink blanket. Ultimately, she needed a few minutes on her own to calm down. By the time Sally got there, she was fine.

Now that I could stop worrying, I could start gloating. I see your minor cranky episode and raise you a full-blown meltdown. Who's your daddy now?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, come on, are you kidding? Mommy will always trump daddy when it comes to this kind of stuff. Good to see the neuroses are still firing on all cylinders for you, though... :P

And while I'm at it, thanks again for sharing your lives with us. It's an absolute joy to read your posts. Pictures may be worth a thousand words (and pkwife just reminded me tonight that it's October, and she hasn't gotten through August or September photos), but the stories are always more fun!

11:52 AM  
Blogger Muffin's Mom said...

Aw, thank you! I feel good that I'm getting down some of the little details, since I've been a slacker mom and haven't kept a baby book at all.

Looking forward to seeing more photos of YOUR little one!

11:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uncle! I have to concede battle royale if it is indeed a competition.

Muffin's always more comfortable in her mom's arms. She always rushes to mom for comfort when she has closed the drawer on a finger and she seems truly enjoy morning cuddles with mom more than she does with her dad. That said, I believe that she appreciates what I bring to the table, a more physical level of play. Like the giggle fits she experiences when I transform her into a human fan, or tossing her into the pile of pillows on our bed, or holding her upside down in a handstand position. I'm convinced she's going to ask for a set of those anti-gravity ankle braces for her birthday some year because she loves it so much. So the Best Parent pagent continues. Just be prepared that I intend to bring some olympic-grade activities to the competition.

11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MM - I love that you have picked up poker in your spare time, lol. Is it awful that I can't wait to see one of the tantrums in NYC? I love the fact that Muffin has gone personality - what a sweetie. AJ

5:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL what fun! I just love reading your posts. Oh, and I never kept up the baby books either... Guilt is a terrible thing - let it be fleeting!

6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home